How I Use Weight Watcher Points (regarding fiber cap)

Let me start out by saying that I follow the Weight Watchers points program but I am not an official member of the Weight Watchers system.  I have never joined the weight watchers program.  I do not pay dues and I do not attend meetings. 

So information that I share on this blog is from research I have done on the internet mostly, with information I have gained from other friends who have been members of the weight watchers program.  There may be times when what I am doing is not exactly how it should be in the program, but it has worked for me, which is what counts (I have lost 35 pounds in the past 4 months and I am still going).

In my research I have found a lot of information on how the program uses fiber in the point count.  From what I have read there is an old way and a new way on the fiber count.  Originally weight watchers let you calculate up to 10 grams of fiber per serving when calculating the points, but, apparently a large portion of the weight watchers population didn’t realize that there is a limit to how many calories can be wiped out by fiber and started abusing the system by thinking they could eat lots of calories as long as they ate lots of fiber, but they were not losing weight.  So weight watchers decided to modify the point system and only allow 4 grams of fiber to be included in the points count per serving.

I have been following the 10 gram fiber cap and have not had a problem with it…but I only count fiber if the recipe, or the food item contains that much fiber.  I do not add extra fiber to my recipes to lower the point count.  

So in all my recipes on this blog, along with Kellie’s Healthy Recipes, I calculate points according to the 10 gram fiber cap (and frankly it is not that often that there is a recipe that c0ntains that much fiber).   But if you are wanting to use the 4 gram fiber cap I do strive to provide the calories, fat and fiber content per serving so you can recalculate the points if the fiber count is above 4 grams.

No comments:

Post a Comment